The second section of the Museum of Sacred Art was recently staged in the oratory of the Company of Corpus Christi, allegedly built after 1595 on the right side of the square. The prestigious environment is now newly accessible thanks to the restoration that has consolidated and made a full readability to the beautiful wooden ceiling decorated with the image of God the Father and with symbols of the Passion , made by a local artist with a lively although rustic expression . In the oratory they are exposed to a large number of sacred vestments of relevance not only of the church of S. Maria Assunta but also from the local churches.
In the large window right into preserved among others a tunicle in broccatello of Tuscan manufacture from the second half of the sixteenth century church of Santa Maria Assunta in Gavinana and ' other in silk damask, dated 1657, of the church.
On the right wall is exposed the painting of the ' Annunciation , executed by the Veronese painter Sebastiano Vini in 1577. The work was commissioned by the parish priest Girolamo Magni to be located on the first altar on the right into the church of Santa Maria. The teacher in the same year he completed the decoration of the altar reredos. Nell ' Annunciation of the wines is not different from the formal and compositional solutions already adopted by him in dealing with the same subject for the churches of St. John the Evangelist in Montale and S. Maria delle Grazie and St. John Forcivitas in Pistoia.
The altar of the oratory, made of polychrome marble, dating ?? as documented by a plaque on the back ?? 1798 and has a front frontal with symbols of the Passion and the dead Christ , referring to the late eighteenth century Tuscan manufacture. The reredos in polychrome wood is the work of Niccolò di Francesco Picchiarini, always performed in 1592 at the expense of the priest Girolamo Magni; while the painting of souls taken from purgatoryis due to an unknown painter from Pistoia (dated 1735). To the sides of the altar are on display in a shop window a series of reliquaries eighteenth-century Roman silver leaf on wooden support.
On the left wall there is a painting of The washing of the feet (recently restored) followed the early seventeenth century, perhaps the son of Sebastian Wines, Jacopo. The work was placed on the altar as would seem to suggest the person depicted reminiscent of the institution of the sacrament of the Eucharist and that makes explicit reference to the duties of care which they were held the company's brothers. On the same wall is inserted a small window that encloses a lamp with a triple suspension in silver, performed by a Florentine goldsmith in 1677, a palmatoria eighteenth in silver metal, a series of three carteglorias in silver foil on wooden support, donated by Domenico Pacini in 1768, and finally two shrines to the Roman, made to the same customer expenses in 1773.
In the great showcase on the left entering, it is again exposed a significant core of liturgical hangings coming from the territory churches bearing witness to the preciousness and the quality of an artistic material worthy of being adequately preserved and enhanced. Predominant is the number of planets : the oldest, dating to the last quarter of the sixteenth century, it belongs to the church of Santa Maria Assunta in Lizzano. From the church of Popiglio come a tunicle in lampasso of Tuscan manufacture from the first half of the eighteenth century and cope silk embroidered the end of the same century.
di Elisabetta Nardinocchi © TOSCANAoggi 2000